The Reading Journey is Just Imagine's programme for supporting independent reading, to develop wider reading and make more productive use of book corners.
The Reading Journey is designed specifically to keep class book corners and reading areas stocked with the very best books to ensure children encounter quality literature written by the best writers with art work from the best illustrators.
The books in The Reading Journey are selected by a panel of literacy experts and class teachers convened by Just Imagine Director, Nikki Gamble, author of Exploring Children's Literature and co-author of Guiding Readers: layers of meaning.
A dedicated website was launched in April 2018 and accompanying resources for these packs of books are available for free download, including display and discussion ideas.
Teeny-tiny Mighty is one of our themed sets and includes 3 copies of 8 titles (24 books in total). These are intended to:
- supplement the main class book collection (see our essential book packs if you are starting from scratch or need a radical update)
- to be used to keep the reading collection fresh and exciting. To prevent class book collections from becoming static and stale.
- offer themes which include a range of genres and have been carefully selected to involve children of different levels of reading attainment
- be used for either a half term or term. They can either be swapped with themed packs from other classes, be added to the main library collection, or packed away and used again the following year
- allow teachers to quickly become familiar with the select number of titles in the set, which helps them be more involved in children's independent reading
- offer a guided choice which helps to lead children to more thoughtful and challenging reading experiences, but is sufficiently open to allow them to select other material from the book corner
- provide multiple copies of one title to encourage peer to peer interaction around a book; children can then meet in informal groups to discuss their reading
- give teachers free discussion ideas to make connections between the different titles
Books from the main class collection, or the school library can be used alongside the theme set.
We have free downloadable resources with ideas for introducing the books, talking and comparing texts, display ideas.
|Eat Your People
Hilda and the Midnight Gang
Tiny: The Invisible World of Microbes
The Storm Whale in Winter
Pack content may vary
Pack contents may vary. If we are unable to supply a particular book, we will substitute with a book of the same high quality.
If your school would prefer to be invoiced for this purchase, please select 'invoice' at checkout.
Free delivery on orders over £100 to UK and free delivery on orders over £200 to Republic of Ireland. For carriage to all other destinations, please email us for a quotation email@example.com